7.29.2010

My New York City love


New York City.  My first visit was over a year ago.  I left with hundreds (yes hundreds) of pictures, great memories and tired legs (another reminder I need to exercise more!)

But that isn't the point....

When I started unpacking, which I hate to do by the way, I found the best surprise.  Tucked away in the deep dark crevasses of my purse was my new love.  I squealed with delight, I thought we were separated forever!

The Black and White cookie. What can be said of this little wonder.  It is a cake in a cookie's body.  It is vanilla and chocolate.  It is dessert and breakfast (well at least for me it is).  It is the perfect answer for those of us that can't make up our mind.  In short, this cookie has it all!

I have been craving black and white cookies ever since.  Fantasizing flying up to NYC so I could indulge in them once again.  I no longer have to fantasize. Why you ask?  Because now I just follow a simple recipe and in a few hours I am back in New York with my love, once again!  Thank you Joy the Baker

Black and White Cookies

Cookies
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
Cookies

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a cup or small bowl.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add eggs, beating until combined well. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately in batches at low speed (scraping down side of bowl occasionally), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until smooth.

Spoon a 1/4 cup of batter about 2 inches apart onto a buttered or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in middle of oven until tops are puffed and pale golden, and cookies spring back when touched, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack to cool.  This should take around 15 minutes or so.


Vanilla Glaze*
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
*I had to add milk to this recipe in order to get it to the proper consistency to spread.  Just pour a little splash at a time.  When you can pour it off of a spoon then it is perfect!  Do this before adding the vanilla or you will end up with little clumps of vanilla and powder sugar.

Chocolate Glaze
  • 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (I used mini chocolate chips, they melt faster and easier)
  • 3 Tablespoons butter
  • 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
 In a bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon of corn syrup and 2 tablespoons hot water, until smooth.

In a separate bowl, melt the butter and the chocolate in a microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring inbetween.  Add the corn syrup and stir until smooth.



 Once the cookies are cooled, face them all bottom-side-up on a clean surface. Spread half of the cookie with vanilla glaze and the other half with chocolate glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment