Blueberries + Cupcakes -->Scrumptious
This recipe was a kitchen experiment born in my crazy imagination. I wanted a way to combine blueberries and cupcakes but was slightly scared. For bakers, to deviate from a recipe could spell disaster. But come on....cupcakes with plump juicy blueberries and purpley blue buttercream...how can I not take my chances? This time disaster was diverted and declared a victory for Team Baker, the experiment worked. I must share with you because it is way too good not to!
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk plus 4 tablespoons (this is an approximate just to loosen the batter a bit to compensate for the blueberries)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (7 ounces) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour with the baking powder and salt. In a small bowl stir together the milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add in the sugar, beating until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, until fully incorporated. Beat in the flour and milk mixtures, alternating one-third of each at a time, until each mixture is fully incorporated and the batter is smooth. Add blueberries and gently fold into batter
Fill each muffin cup three-fourths full of batter. Bake the cupcakes until puffed, set and lightly golden, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean, about 18 to 25 minutes.
Cool the cupcakes before frosting.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 heaping spoonfuls blueberries, pureed