10.19.2010

Cinnamon Ricotta Cookies



Have I mentioned recently that Ricotta Pancakes are fluffy little clouds of goodness?

Oh I have?  Well...what if I said that you can have all of that in a cookie too?  A cookie that is not-too-sweet and fluffy-soft like a down comforter.  In fact I have it on good authority that they have often been referred to as "cookies from heaven", they are that unforgettable.

One may say that that is too good to be true, and normally I would agree.  I mean, how can something be THAT good?  But this time I am telling the truth-no exaggeration, pinkie swear! 

After saying all of this I am pretty sure that it won't be too hard to believe that I had a monster craving for these cookies.  I knew I had to make them, pronto, like do not pass Go-do not collect $200 kind of pronto. 

But there was one thing I wanted to add to them.  I know what you are thinking, why change something that is supposed to be so perfect?  And in the back of my mind I was saying the same thing,  "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  But seeing that it is fall and all I hear about are pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and fall-inspired recipes, how can I ignore that??  I had to personalize them for the fall season.

How so?  Easy.  As much as I love lemons in the summer, I love cinnamon in the fall.  The smell of cinnamon wandering through the house on a cool day/night is heavenly.  As the fall sets in so does my longing for cinnamon.  So the decision was easy, add cinnamon to these lovelies and let perfection get perfected!

So I set out to combine my two cravings and came up with these little bundles of joy.  As I sit here and think about them, I am finding that the warm fuzzy feeling that they create, is coming over me yet again.  Hmmm...might have to bake some up soon...

UPDATE:  A wonderful food blogger that goes by the name Spicie Foodie, find her here, has set up a really cool interactive monthly link up.  Your Best Recipes is a way to share with others the best of the month.  This was the first month, October, and the response is really great.  I encourage you to stop by her page and participate dangit!  And for any readers that are here because of YBR, welcome!  Feel free to comment, linger and follow!  Happy Halloween everyone!!

Cinnamon Ricotta Cookies
adapted from Giada De Laurentiis 

  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
Glaze
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • Milk, amounts vary
  • Cinnamon, to taste
  • Vanilla extract, to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Put aside.

In a bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese and continue beating until combined. Stir in the dry ingredients.

Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon the cookie dough (about 2 tablespoons per cookie) onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden at the edges. Side note: The bottoms of these cookies brown much faster than the rest of the cookies so do not rely on just looking at the tops to see if they are done, I usually turn over one cookie and see how brown the bottoms are to determine doneness.  If they get a little too dark, don't worry the flavor is not damaged and they will not taste burned.  Remove from the oven and let cool.

Glaze:

I winged this glaze so this recipe is not as precise as I usually post on here.  Basically it goes a little something like this...

In a medium sized bowl measure out the powdered sugar.  A little at a time add in milk and stir until you get a pourable consistency.  Add vanilla extract and cinnamon to taste.  I like mine pretty cinnamon-y so I added several teaspoons.  Just keep tasting and adding as you see fit.   Spoon about 1/2-teaspoon onto each cookie and use the back of the spoon to gently spread. 


9 comments:

  1. mmm sounds delicious and your description of the smell of cinnamon and fall made me feel all warm inside :-)

    Best,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whom ever told you these are cookies from heaven is so right. I want like a dozen to go with my cup of tea right now. I'm saving your recipe to try, can't wait.
    Thanks for joining the YBR event and great submission. Everyone is going to love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristie, Found you on YBR, these do sound like they are from heaven. Can't wait to come back here and see what's coming out of the oven.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spicie-they are perfect with tea or coffee...in fact I have them for breakfast every time I make them! Healthy I know :D Let me know what you think!

    Gina-So glad you found me. You never know what I may be cooking up next! Checking out your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristie,
    Oh yes a cup of tea would be heavenly. Now that's a great idea and nice breakfast treat. Thanks again for joining the YBR this month. I'll look for you next month too:) Oh and please don't forget to add the YBR badge either on your sidebar or on a new post so you can let your readers know you are a part of the YBR. We are getting such great feedback on it, so getting the word out is what we need. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on YBR and had to come check these out. That ricotta must make the cookies so moist and rich and that glaze looks fantastic. I wouldn't mind dipping a whole lot of other goodies in it as well. By the way, I'm holding a CSN giveaway on my blog and you're welcome to come by and enter. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2010/11/45-csn-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sound delicious! I love Giada's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa...ricotta is like the miracle ingredient, it turns everything into magic! I will certainly come by and check your site out!

    Family Spice...she is fantastic. I have one of her cookbooks and I love everything in there. The recipes are easy and approachable and everything turns out divine!

    ReplyDelete