8.01.2010

Tomato Sandwiches



A fantastic couple, tomatoes and basil.  I can't think of a better match.  Well, maybe chocolate and caramel....oh crap! That is besides the point!

What I mean is....

Tomatoes and basil are perfect for one another. Tomatoes are great on their own, delightful in fact, but add basil and...BAM!  They are freaking fantastic. They bring out the best in each other, kinda like peanut butter and jelly....oh crap, another great match!

So....yeah...tomatoes and basil - I think I am their # 1 fan...and perhaps...I may even be accused of obsessing a bit. I am always trying to find new ways to combine the two.  For the summer I have the perfect dish to satisfy my obsession - a tomato sandwich with an Italian touch.
Tomato Sandwiches
  • Ciabatta bread (or any type of bread that is a favorite)
  • olive oil
  • tomato slices, the fresher the better
  • pesto, this can be home made or store bought which ever you prefer
  • mayo
  • salt & pepper to taste
Slice the Ciabatta bread into fairly thin slices.  Brush one side of each slice lightly with olive oil.  Place oil side down on a grill pan (I just have this thing for grill marks...so cool!) or a griddle.  Toast to desired level.  In a small bowl mix about a tablespoon, or more depending on the size of your bread slices, each of mayo and pesto.  Since I love pesto I add just a touch more pesto than mayo...up to you.  Slice the tomatoes about 1/4-1/2" thick.  Spread pesto/mayo mixture over the toasted bread.  Layer the slices of tomatoes and top with salt and pepper to taste. 

There you have it a fantastic way to celebrate the union of two great ingredients...and super easy too!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment